Black Earth Compost - 1 cu ft
This compost is made in small batches and is rich in humus, nurtures beneficial micro-organisms, is free of any viable weed seeds, and contains an abundance of immediate and slow release nutrients. Made in Massachusetts, this compost does not have grass clippings, is screened to 5/8th of an inch and is lab tested.
How to use:
- Vegetable or Annual Beds – Use the compost to refresh your garden’s soil. Add 2-3 inches of compost (4-5 inches for poor or new beds), then mix it with shovel or tiller until it is incorporated.
- Lawns – Top dress your lawn by hand tossing or spreading around with a rake. Apply a thin layer, approx. 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick, making sure to leave the grass blades exposed to sun and air. Apply seed if desired.
- Potted Plants – Mix compost 50/50 with loam.
- New Plantings – Dig a hole where you want to plant and save the excavated loam. Mix the loam 50/50 with Black Earth Compost and use this blend in the bottom of the planting hole and to pack it in.
- Compost Tea – Compost can be mixed with water to create a liquid fertilizer to feed plants. Mix equal parts compost and water and let sit for 5 days. Strain the liquid from the compost and apply immediately.
- Trees, Shrubs and Perennials – To feed established plants, put 1-2 inches of compost in ‘drip zone’ of the tree shrub or perennial. Keep compost away from the trunk or stem.